Hurray! One of my favorite vegan cookbook authors, Robin Robertson, is back!
Veganize It! is filled with recipes that will delight everyone in your family, from the plant-based eaters to the omnivores. Below you can enter to win a copy of the book (U.S. mailing addresses, only).
And today you can make the Heart of Palm and Artichoke Cake recipe from the book. The full recipe is below but I thought I’d show you how they turned out in my air fryer.
Here’s what I did:
- I followed the instructions all the way up to, and including, refrigerating for 20 minutes.
- Then I preheated the air fryer on 400°F for 5 minutes (or 390°F, depending upon the type of air fryer you have).
- I sprayed the air fryer basket with a mist or two of oil.
- I placed the cakes on the air fryer basket and then spritzed the top of the cakes with a couple mists of oil.
- If cooking on 400°F, cook for 6 minutes. If cooking on 390°F, you might go as long as 8 minutes.
No air fryer? No problem! Just follow Robin’s excellent recipe here:
HEART OF PALM AND ARTICHOKE CAKES
These delectable cakes are crisp on the outside and moist and flaky on the inside with a flavor that is remarkably similar to traditional crab cakes thanks to Old Bay seasoning and a dash of nori flakes. This recipe makes six to eight cakes (depending on how big you like them) that can be enjoyed as a main dish, in sandwiches (they’re even good cold!), or as a component in Seitan Oscar.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for frying
- ½ cup minced onion
- ¼ cup minced celery
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 (14-ounce) jar hearts of palm, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, well drained, patted dry, and roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon nori or dulse flakes
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¾ cup panko bread crumbs
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and cook until softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, Old Bay seasoning, cornstarch, nori flakes, and mayo. Add the cooled onion mixture and 1⁄4 cup of the panko, and mix well. Divide the mixture into 6 to 8 portions and shape into small patties.
- Place the remaining 1⁄2 cup panko in a shallow bowl. Coat the patties with the bread crumbs and refrigerate or freeze for 20 minutes or longer.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Carefully place the patties in the skillet and cook until golden brown on each side, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer the cooked patties to a plate. Serve hot with lemon wedges.
Makes 6 to 8 cakes
Text excerpted from VEGANIZE IT! © 2017 by Robin Robertson. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. Photo by William and Susan Brinson.
Looks and sounds amazing, right? It is. This book is packed with tasty recipes. Enter to win a copy now!
Affiliate links are used throughout this site. Shop with my affiliate partners here.