If you read vegan blogs, you’ve been reading all about Robin Robertson’s latest cookbook Nut Butter Universe.
I was provided a review copy of the book and I must tell you it is loads of fun! First, who doesn’t love nut butters? (Well, unless you’re allergic). Second, nuts and seeds are one of five fabulous vegan food groups (along with vegetables, fruits, beans and legumes, and grains) so how great to have an entire book devoted to helping us get nutritious nuts and seeds into our diet?
I’m cuckoo for nut butter! After taking a cooking class at Natural Gourmet Institute and learning that one cup of nuts, one food processor and 12 minutes is all you need to make your own, it’s a staple for me. Enter Robin’s book – the recipes and possibilities are simply limitless. While the title is nut “butter” don’t be fooled! Robin also provides recipes for nut-based mayo, cheese, and cream and sour cream.
Robin starts with the basics about nut butters and then moves into recipes:
- Soups: Peruvian Peanut Potato Soup, Cream of Chestnut Soup, Creamy Mushroom Soup, and more.
- Starters: Smoke and Spice Almond Hummus, Savory Three-Nut Pate, Spinach-Walnut Crostini, and more.
- Salads: Crunchy Coleslaw with Creamy Cashew Dressing, Pecan Lover’s Potato Salad, Mixed Greens and Papaya with Thai Peanut Butter Dressing, and more.
- Side Dishes: Spicy Walnut Green Beans, Roasted Tahini Cauliflower, and more.
- Main Dishes: Vegetable-Cashew Korma, West African Vegetable Stew, Sun-Butter Macaroni Pie, and more.
- Sandwiches: Thai Tofu-Vegetable Wraps, Open-Face Peanut Butter and Tomato Broil, and more.
- Breakfast & Beyond: Ginger-Walnut Scones, Apple-Almond Butter Pancakes, Pineapple-Coconut Smoothie, and more.
- Desserts: Almond Joy Pudding, Tree-Nut Butter Cookies, and more.
- Sweet Treats: Peanut Butter Cups, Power Ball Energy Bites, and more.
A solid addition to the appendices is a gluten- and soy-free recipe index.
I’m sure after seeing just a sampling of the wide variety of recipes included in this clever book that you want a copy, right? No problem, I‘m hosting a giveaway! Simply enter below!
If you can’t wait, or don’t win, no worries. Nut Butter Universe is available on Amazon!