I didn’t bulk cook last weekend. The horror!
Saturday I spent a few hours at the salon being pampered and then had a lunch date with my husband. Sunday I had a lot of writing to do. So, rather than begin some uninspired cooking I reminded myself why I cook in bulk–to have food to reheat throughout the week and to freeze. I pulled a few things out of the freezer (mystery meals!) so that I would have something to take to work each day for lunch–a brown rice-barley mix, quinoa and black beans, split pea soup and kale-polenta cutlets.
Tuesday morning I was packing up my meals and snacks for the day and suddenly did feel inspired! I set up a pot of black-eyed peas in my rice cooker and scheduled the timer to begin around 5:00 p.m. I walked into the house after work and it smelled divine. But what to do with those black-eyed peas?
Black-Eyed Pea & Collard Green Pizza
This is an intuitive dish so I have included no measurements. Make this “pizza” your own!
- Whole Wheat wrap or tortilla
- Avocado oil
- Vegetable broth
- Garlic, minced
- Taco seasoning
- Collard greens (cut into strips)
- Black-eyed peas, cooked
- Tomato sauce
- Vegan Parma
- Onion, diced
- Heat oven to 400
- Spread oil over wrap and bake for about five minutes (I placed the wrap directly on the oven rack). Remove from oven.
- Heat vegetable broth in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, taco seasoning and cumin.
- Stir in collard green strips, cover, reduce to simmer and steam for 3 minutes.
- Add cooked or canned black-eyed peas (I cooked mine in the rice cooker with a bay leaf, garlic and onion) and simmer for another few minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce over the baked wrap, add the cooked collards and black-eyed peas, sprinkle with Vegan Parma and add diced raw onion.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
Another successful under 30-minute meal!