Did you hear? You can enter to win a copy of Vegan Pie in the Sky! That’s news, right?!
Before I get to the rest of this week’s news, Vegan MoFo recipes I must try and a round-up from my own blogs, let me share a new breakfast creation. I couldn’t resist jumping in for the final Vegan MoFo Iron Chef Challenge #4. Secret ingredients: carrots and oats!
JL’s Oat, Amaranth & Carrot Porridge
- 2 T Earth Balance buttery spread
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup amaranth
- 2.5 cups filtered water
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- Add all ingredients to your rice cooker and select the porridge cycle.
- Serve with a dab of Earth Balance, a sprinkle of cinnamon and sea salt to taste.
Can you say best “cream o wheat” ever? You must try this! Amaranth is packed with protein and calcium — such a great way to start your day!
On to some vegan news…
I will start with news I could do without. It friggin’ snowed yesterday! I don’t mean cute little flakes where you find yourself charmed by the October oddity. It was a vicious snow storm. Trees and branches down all over Westchester County (and my backyard). And my garden.
Oh, my sweet, bistro garden. It’s abruptly over.
Fortunately Dave harvested the garden for me Friday and I have a big bag of kale in the garage and the final eggplant and peppers to cook up today.
Since we’re talking WTF news, explain this please. Why would that Ohio teacher who had sex with 17 year old students try to blame her vegan diet as part of her insanity plea?
In other news, I stumbled upon two articles about mixed-marriages (in this case, mixed means an omnivore spouse and a vegan spouse):
The second article really challenged me. I felt judgmental, thinking I couldn’t possibly tolerate a hunter lifestyle in my home but, really, how is tolerating a spouse eating meat any different than knowing the animal died at the hands of your spouse? In the end it’s the same result– an animal needlessly died. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.
Here’s something totally random and totally cool: Amtrak is introducing vegan meals!
Finally, there was was some celebrity news that I feel obligated to share, though you’ve probably read it a million times this week:
- Russell Brand and Ozzy Osborne both proclaimed “vegan!” after viewing Forks Over Knives. Note to self: unwrap the DVD of said film and watch it!
- Ellen DeGeneres and wife Portia de Rossi are opening a vegan restaurant in L.A. I wanna go every single day!
- MTV airs Mercy for Animals Pro-Vegetarian Commercials!
I have saved so many wonderful recipes from my fellow Vegan MoFo Bloggers this month! This week:
- VT Pepper-Crusted Cashew Goat Cheese from Green Gourmet Giraffe
- Rawish German Chocolate Cupcakes from Kale is Comfort
- Make Your Own Tofu Meat! It’s Neat! from Scissors and Spice
- MONDAY: Mint Chocolate Protein Smoothie, or So Delicious is Soooo Holiday, part 2
- TUESDAY: Humus Sandwich + A Vegan “Oops” Moment
- WEDNESDAY: Soy Curl Paprikash Sandwich
- THURSDAY: Honee Nut Brussels
- FRIDAY: Souen, NYC
- SATURDAY: Vegan Pie in the Sky + A Recipe and GIVEAWAY! You can still enter! I will select one lucky winner (open to anyone in the U.S. and Canada) and am accepting entries until the end of VeganMoFo (Monday, October 31, 11:59 p.m. EST).
And on Stop Chasing Skinny:
- Loving Animals, Loving Myself: How Veganism is Changing My Self-Image by Erin Plante
- Let’s talk boobs