BREAKFAST: Scrambled Tofu & Kale with Sausage
LUNCH: White Beans and Rice
DINNER: Vegan Pepperoni Pizza
Scrambled Tofu & Kale with Sausage
- Olive oil
- Whole wheat flour
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Vegan pepperoni sausage
- Tofu (extra-firm, pressed and crumbled)
- Kale (torn into bit size pieces)
- Low-Sodium soy sauce
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium-high.
- Dredge vegan sausage, cut into rounds, in flour and pepper.
- Fry for three minutes, flip and fry for three more minutes.
- Place sausage on a plate with paper towels and set aside.
- Pour out most of the frying oil, but keep just a little for the scramble.
- Add diced shallots to the skillet and saute.
- Crumble tofu into the skillet and add tumeric (to taste).
- Saute for three to five minutes.
- Add kale and soy sauce, stir, cover and simmer for five to eight minutes.
White Beans and Rice
A vegan twist on traditional red beans and rice, I went with navy beans (because that’s what I had in the pantry) made with a hearty homemade vegetable broth, and brown rice. For a little sass, I added homemade vegan sausage. This dish is packed with flavor!
For the beans
- Avocado oil
- Shallots, sliced
- Garlic, minced
- Cayenne pepper
- Navy beans (soaked for one hour, rinsed and drained)
- Bay leaf
- Vegetable broth
- Iodized sea salt, to taste
For the rice
- Brown rice
- Pinch of salt
Vegan pepperoni sausage (or vegan sausage of your choice), cubed
For the beans
- Heat avocado oil in the pressure cooker.
- Saute shallots and garlic, add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper, bay leafe and beans).
- Add vegetable broth (enough to cover the beans, then just a bit more) to the pressure cooker.
- Lock the cover and bring to pressure.
- Cook at pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow for natural release.
- Add sea salt (optional)
For the rice
Add brown rice, water, and salt to the rice cooker (refer to user’s manual for measurements) and cook on the brown rice setting.
Toss the beans, rice, and crumbled or diced vegan sausage together and serve with Sriracha for a little extra zing!
Vegan Pepperoni Pizza
- Heat over to 500 F degrees.
- Heat a small bit of olive oil and one clove of garlic (minced) in a cast iron skillet, on medium-low heat on the stove.
- Remove from heat.
- Press pizza dough into the skillet, flip so that both sides are rubbed into the oil and garlic (the garlic will end up pressed into the dough).
- Add sauce, onion, and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes on the lowest rack in the oven.
- Reduce oven heat to 400 F, remove the skillet from the over to add pepperoni, red pepper flakes, oregano and a bit more mozzarella.
- Return the skillet to the oven and bake for an additional 15 – 18 minutes.
So there you have it! A vegetable broth became the base of a seitan recipe, which became the star of three distinct meals. Isn’t bulk cooking grand?
Come back tomorrow for a cookbook review and a giveaway!