- Yeah. Walking to the camera with the soup didn’t really work, did it? Here’s what the vegan rice cooker soup actually looks like! It was delicious!
- What’s amaranth? A grain. Actually a seed, but it’s a lot like quinoa. In fact amaranth, quinoa and bulgur are considered high protein “grains.”
- My rice cooker recipes are here.
- My version of Homegrown Smoker‘s Machnocheeto is here. You should make it.
And now the recipe!
Curry Lentil & Amaranth Soup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
Keywords: rice cooker soup/stew vegan lentils
Ingredients (Serves 6 – 8)
- 2 yellow curry bouillon cubes
- 4 cups water (to mix with bouillon)
- 1 cup dry amaranth
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 1 – 2 cups water (additional)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 and 1/2 cup potato, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
Dissolve bouillon cubes in 4 cups of hot water and pour into the rice cooker.
Add amaranth, lentils, additional water (I used one cup of water – if you want it “soupier,” consider adding more), onion, carrot, potato, garam masala, turmeric, sea salt and saffron to the rice cooker.
Stir, set the rice cooker on brown rice setting and cook for one hour.
Stir in lemon juice and allow to cook for 10 more minutes.
Add more salt to taste.