What a busy weekend! I’ve been doing a lot of volunteer work, ranging from researching funding opportunities for nonprofits to directing athletes on a run course during a triathlon. This morning I ended up going out for a 23+ mile bike ride (my husband, a triathlon coach, is kicking up my training for a late-summer duathlon) instead of perusing the vegan news. Finally, though, I have found a few links you may find of interest.
This week’s vegan links and news
I guess we can finally put the New York Times Ethical meat-eating essay exercise to rest. Though the essay I’m About to Eat Meat for the First Time in 40 Years won the popular vote (the essayist is now known to be Ingrid Newkirk of PETA), the panelists selected a former vegetarian’s essay – Give Thanks for Meat – as the winner. I was kind of over it all until I read NY Times editor Arthur Brisbane’s opinion piece on the contest: In the Middle of a Food Fight. Overall I found the piece unnecessarily apologetic and that he was placating poor, put-upon meat-eaters but then he completely surprised me with his final paragraph – a disclosure statement. It’s worth a read.
Another great read is Shocking people into going vegetarian? Massive “hot dog” balloon has nothing on bloody chicken pictures on CultureMap Houston. I love activists.
Are you a cruiser? Holland America is adding an entire vegetarian menu for its passengers which includes 22 vegetarian and vegan options. The times sure are a changin’.
Mark your calendar!
- May 19: Vegan Cuisine: A Simple Art: Ten Course Tasting Menu for the Produce Loving Foodie, Jim Thorpe, PA
- May 27: Veggie Pride Parade NYC 2012, New York, NY
- June 2: Veggie Pride – Chicago, Chicago, IL
- June 9: 2nd Annual VegFest Houston, Houston, TX
- June 9: Flagler County’s first-ever Vegan Fest, Flagler Beach, FL
- June 16 – 17: The Seed Vegan Expo, New York, NY
- June 27 – July 3: 38th Vegetarian Summerfest, Johnstown, PA
- July 1: First Annual Victoria Vegan Fest, Victoria, BC
- July 7: Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary July Jamboree, Woodstock, NY
- July 19 – 23: National Health Association: Healthy Living Conference, Hallandale Beach, FL
- August 2 – 5: Animal Rights 2012 National Conference, Washington, DC
- August 2 – 4: BlogHer ’12, New York, NY
Are you organizing an upcoming vegan event? Send me the details!
This week on the blogs
- MONDAY: First Annual Connecticut Vegetarian and Healthy Living Festival: A Recap.
- WEDNESDAY: Socca. Finally.
- THURSDAY: This week on I Eat Plants: An interview with a chef + Cinco de Mayo (vegan-style) and my Red Radio interview.
- FRIDAY: Vegan Food Activism on Our Hen House + NYC volunteer opportunities at Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. Also on Friday, Healthy Living Blogs posted an interview with me as part of their Friday Feature series.
Stop Chasing Skinny
Have you stopped chasing skinny? Submit your story today!