Happy Sunday! Last weekend I was in the middle of my 6 Days of Vegan Cookbook Reviews so I didn’t share a vegan news of the week post. I’m making up for it this week with a more exhaustive list.
- Yesterday I enjoyed listening to the 100th episode of Our Hen House. (Congratulations Jasmin and Mariann!) I loved listening to their thoughts on food as activism — and Isa Chandra Moskowitz‘s on baking as activism (all three women have inspired my series on the topic).
- Check out the results of a new poll on The Vegetarian Resource Group:
Seventeen percent of Americans stated that they “don’t eat meat, fish, seafood, or poultry at many of my meals (but less than half the time)” and 16% don’t eat these foods at more than half of their meals (but not all the time). Thus, 1/3 (33%) of the country are eating vegetarian meals a significant amount of the time (in addition to vegetarians)! This is certainly good news for companies producing vegetarian foods. No wonder why so many restaurants have added vegetarian options.
- Are you tofu-challenged? Nasoya has developed something super-cool: the All Things Tofu app, which I promptly installed on my iPhone. The app includes recipes (tomato-braised tofu , strawberry banana smoothie, etc) and videos (how to make a tofu scramble, where to find tofu in the store, how to press tofu, etc). Convenient and fun!
- Ellen DeGeneres creating pet food range I’ve read that dogs can do well on vegan food and it makes sense because they are omnivores. But cats are carnivores. I have three cats and I feed them animal-based food. It’s a dilemma but I want them to be healthy. Vegans with animal companions, what do you do?
- Spiritual chocolate? The Intentional Chocolate™ Company Introduces the First Intentionally Enhanced Organic Chocolate.
- Delicious vegan food news for NYC: Manhattan’s First Vegan Food Truck Comes to Midtown and Dun-Well Doughnuts Opens Their NYC Vegan Shop.
- Europe gets an all-vegan grocer! Where’s The Beef? Not At Veganz, Europe’s First Vegan Supermarket.
- Did you know meat-eating is on the rise in India? Andhra Dussault offers reasons to become a vegan.
- A “Groupon-like” opportunity for vegans! For Those Vegan and Vegetarians Feeling Left Out From Daily Deals – TimeToVegOut.com to the Rescue. Speaking of Groupon, did it kill a vegan-friendly joint in Chicago? Drew’s Eatery Shuts Down, Blames Deal Sites.
- Finally, I have a few holiday parties coming up and just might need to spruce up my make-up bag with these great suggestions: Great Makeup for the Holidays, Minus the Cruelty.
Recently on Stop Chasing Skinny:
- I shared a fabulous community member post, a video: VLOG: Love Your Body by Jennifer Jonassen.
- I am turning to YOU. Are you skipping the January diet? Tell me about it. I want to share as many posts as possible in January about NOT dieting. Please email me your “no diet” submission to be posted on Stop Chasing Skinny next month!
On this blog, quite obviously, I had several vegan cookbook reviews.
I also shared my first ever Seitan Tacos
and a review of That’s It. fruit bars.
Now I’m off to enjoy my Sunday. A holiday party this afternoon, where I’ll be taking a bottle of vegan wine and vegan cookies, and then dinner with my friends from Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary. I’ll be telling you more about that, tomorrow!