I still haven’t gone to the grocery store this week. Maybe today is the day! I did, however, pick up some romaine lettuce at Target when shopping for office supplies the other day so, with lettuce as a guaranteed ingredient, I searched the refrigerator and found an unopened package of tempeh and a loaf of spelt bread. Sandwich!
Sweet Tempeh Bacon Sandwich
This is an intuitive cooking recipe. Use as much as you like of each ingredient! The steaming step is not necessary; however, I tend to always steam tempeh before using it and, in this case, the “bacon” was particularly succulent.
- Tempeh (I used a three-grain tempeh)
- Maple syrup
- Liquid smoke
- Cayenne Pepper
- Avocado oil
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Slice the tempeh lengthwise into strips.
- Steam for a few minutes (I steamed mine for 6 minutes in an electric steamer; you can also steam it in a covered skillet with a bit of water.
- While the tempeh is steaming, mix the maple syrup, liquid smoke and cayenne pepper (for 5 pieces of tempeh I I used about 1.5 T syrup, a splash of liquid smoke and 2 pinches of cayenne pepper).
- Heat avocado oil in a skillet on high.
- Add the steamed tempeh to the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-high and drizzle half of the syrup mixture over the tempeh.
- Cook for 5 minutes, flip the tempeh strips, drizzle the remaining syrup over the tempeh and cook for an addition 3 – 5 minutes.
- Assemble your sandwich with toasted bread, vegan mayonnaise, lettuce and tempeh (add tomato, if you have it).
I’ve shared in the past that I don’t love tempeh but I’m growing to like it. This sweet version is a keeper – and I do swear by steaming it first. What are your tempeh tips and tricks?