I love soy curls.
They are easy and fun to prepare and they make for a really hearty meal.
Last night I realized that I had not yet used any of my soy curls, stored in the freezer, and it was time! I grabbed a sweet potato, garlic and onion and placed them on a cutting board. I looked in the refrigerator and spied baby spinach and mushrooms, which I added to the countertop. Then in the corner of the top shelf of the refrigerator I noticed half a jar of vegan Alfredo sauce (purchased at Nooch). Hmm. I also grabbed a jar of capers right next to it. Then this happened.
Stovetop Soy Curl and Sweet Potato Alfredo Casserole
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 2 cups cooked sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 bag soy curls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 cup onion, cut into half moon slices
- 4 cups baby spinach, loosely packed
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons Chik-Style seasoning
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 3/4 cup vegan Alfredo sauce (I used store-bought)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Additional capers, for garnish
- Cook potatoes (I made mine in the pressure cooker, with one cup of vegetable broth, at 6 minutes pressure followed by a quick release).
- Rehydrate soy curls (soak in warm water for 10 – 15 minutes), rinse and drain.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and onion and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add drained soy curls and Chik-Style seasoning and saute for 5 minutes. (Add liquid, if necessary – I used some of the cooking broth from the potatoes).
- Stir in spinach, mushrooms and capers.
- Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 – 8 minutes.
- Remove cover, return heat to medium, add lemon juice and allow to get bubbly. Stir frequently, cooking for another 3 – 5 more minutes, until the casserole thickens.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with capers.
I loved everything about this recipe! As my favorite nutritionist / pal / co-author Ginny reminded me on Facebook last night – my awesome meal, filled with soy and Vitamin A-rich veggies, is so good and so good for me!