My morning meals have been mostly smoothies for the last couple of weeks – most likely because I have stepped up my fitness quite a bit as I am training for a summer duathlon (run – bike – run). I love a tall, liquid breakfast after a workout. Yesterday was a rest day from exercise; I wanted all the powerful nutrition of a smoothie but was most definitely craving a new texture.
I grabbed my usual smoothie ingredients (frozen fruit/ice, something green, plant-based milk, flax or chia seeds and a date or other natural sweetener). I simply altered the amounts of each ingredient and suddenly I was eating a beautiful bowl of green ice cream. Same great ingredients – completely different mouthfeel experience.
Green Ice Cream
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Spinach (a generous handful)
- 1 Medjool date, pitted
- 3 large frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup soy milk (or preferred plant-based milk)
- Ice cubes (just a few)
- Add all ingredients, in order listed, to a high-speed blender.
- Blend for just a few minutes, to desired ice cream consistency.
- Serve and enjoy!
This ice cream is smooth, filling and packed with nutritious flavor.