Red Romaine Lettuce
and Red Russian Kale
With fresh lettuce and kale in hand–and a farmer’s market trip that resulted in fresh strawberries, french breakfast radish and pickled green tomatoes from Dr. Pickle–we came up with this salad:
JL’s Bistro Garden-Farmers Market Salad (PRINTABLE RECIPE)
Ingredients & Method
- A handful of red romaine lettuce, keep leaves whole and line the salad plate with the leaves
- A handful of red Russian kale, torn into bite size pieces and massaged with olive oil and sea salt
- 1 french breakfast radish, sliced into match sticks
- 2-3 strawberries, quartered
- 1 small pickled green tomato, sliced
- S+P, to taste
By massaging the kale in a bit of olive oi, it kept the salad nice and light because that was the only oil used. There was no need for acid (vinegar or citrus juice) because we used the pickled tomatoes. The combination of the radish with the strawberries and green tomatoes provided a crunch of spiciness with a sweet and savory twist.
There is nothing like enjoying vegetables from my own garden. Nothing!
What are you eating from your garden these days?