Happy Sunday! I spent a lot of time in the kitchen yesterday, cooking up some recipes from a few cookbooks I’ll be reviewing soon. I used black chickpeas for the first time (because they were the only chickpeas I had on hand) and I couldn’t resist whipping up a humus with the leftover chicks.
Black and Green Humus
Keywords: food processor
Ingredients (Makes about 1.5 cups of humus)
- 1 and 1/4 cup cooked black chickpeas
- 1 avocado, cut into four pieces
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- Juice of one lime
- 1 T tahini
- Sea salt, to taste
Add first five ingredients to a food processor.
Pulse to desired consistency.
Salt to taste.
So tasty! Yes, black chickpeas taste very similar to regular chickpeas. I found they cooked up a little quicker, though.
I make a lot of chickpeas so I think I’ll make a point to keep these on hand too, for a little variety.
Moving on to a few bits of vegan news I stumbled upon this week:
- If you’re traveling home from the holidays, this might be helpful: Beyond burgers: tips for travelling vegans
- It’s holiday party season! Check out the Top 10 Vegan, Eco and Sustainable Party Shoes
- Sad news: quarrygirl.com, the blog, is no more. She’ll still be tweeting and the blog is archived on google but those of you who followed the blog know this is a real shame. I hope we see her doing something else in the vegan/interweb world soon!
- I’m Thanksgiving-ed out but if you want to see a few more pictures of holiday food porn, check out the Happy Thanksgiving from Vegansaurus tagged posts on Vegansaurus.
At some point this week I suddenly had over 3,000+ followers on Twitter and I’m at nearly 1,000 on Facebook. I cannot believe it and I want you to know how gratifying it is that the message on this blog and in my Tweets and Facebook communication resonates with you. Thank you. I mean it.
- MONDAY: Food is Activism: Megan’s Version of a Moroccan Vegetable Ragout
- TUESDAY: Black-Eyed Pea & Collard Green Chili
- WEDNESDAY: Vegan “Bacon and Eggs” (Is Thanksgiving tomorrow?)
- THURSDAY: A two-fer! Happy Vegan Thanksgiving! and Food is Activism: Aunt Candy Dazzles Thanksgiving 2011 with Vegan Dessert
- FRIDAY: On this Black Friday, Shop Vegan with Vegan Cuts
- SATURDAY: My Thanksgiving Dinner at Candle 79
On Stop Chasing Skinny: Forgetting to chase perfection by Lexie
Enjoy your day, friends!